Thursday, July 14, 2016

Introducing Our New Development Director!

Hey folks, it’s VSA Texas blog time from Lynn. I will gladly say we here couldn’t be happier to introduce Janelle Matous as our new Development Director! She’s been here less than three weeks and has already written two grants, completely set up a new office, read through new grant opportunities, AND got us a new puppy mascot, Maisie. I could say more but TA DA! Janelle will let us all know more about herself in her own words, so without further ado... Take it away, Janelle:
Janelle and new puppy Maisie
"Since I was a little girl, I knew I wanted to do two things in life: share art and help people. I somehow ended up lucky enough to have a job that lets me to do both. VSA Texas has allowed me to put my years of fundraising experience to use supporting a cause that is near and dear to my heart: making it possible for people of all abilities to expand their connection to the arts.

"An artist myself, I know firsthand how important creative expression is to the development of a mind, no matter what age. Art helped me overcome crippling social anxiety at an early age and watching my son grow up and choose art as his primary form of expression has only deepened my understanding of something I’ve known all along; that art has the power to communicate across language barriers, to bring people together, to inspire, to change the way we look at the world and to make us better humans. We all contribute something to this life, no matter what our ‘job’ is. For some, art is their job. Making it possible to access your dream is paramount to the success of humanity.
Janelle ready for work at her new desk!
"None of us live the same life as another, and what we create is not the same as another in turn. When we welcome diversity in abilities and perspective, we only enrich our own understanding of who we are as people. Once I learned about VSA Texas, it was only natural for me to want to work here. VSA’s programs not only offer accessibility to the arts, but also inclusion in the arts. I am so honored to be part of an organization that celebrates all abilities and sees the importance of creativity in our world, and I look forward to a successful year making more art happen in our community!"

No comments:

Post a Comment