Friday, June 17, 2016

Sight. Sound. Soul.

Hello friends, Celia here. I am in Boston getting ready for our Inclusion by Design performance at the Americans for the Arts Convention. In Austin, this performance is better known as Sight. Sound. Soul. In 2007, I had the pleasure to join my friend Charlie Washburn of VSA Massachusetts in Idaho to participate as an audio describer in my first fully inclusive concert that featured New Orleans based musician Henry Butler. It was a blast. And I was hooked. Since then, we have done concerts in Boston at the WGBH studios and as part of the annual LEAD conference, in Albuquerque at the Southwest Conference on Disability, and in Austin at the late, great La Zona Rosa and the Palm Door. This performance will be live streamed, a new feature for our merry band of inclusive by design performers, at https://www.youtube.com/user/americansforthearts/
These concerts feature musicians, painters, ASL interpreters, open captioning, and audio description. The audio description is written as the performance is happening and delivered at agreed upon times during the live performance. At some performances, audio description is also delivered via the traditional method, although it is still offered without a preview as there is no opportunity to preview a one-time performance. It is nerve-wracking because as a describer I have to write as I see and I don't have any time to review or edit. What occurs is more spoken word description that gives a sense of the environment of a live performance, which I hope brings the patron who is blind or visually impaired more completely into the experience.
This time, in Boston again, Henry, Nancy, and I will be together after several years, hoping to stir up the magic of the arts for a brand new audience of folks. I am not sure what we will create, but I can assure you that people will be talking about it for days and weeks to come.
Nancy poses beside a colorful mural of Henry Butler.
If I don't see you in Boston, maybe you will bring us to a theater near you to create the magic of inclusive performing arts in your community!

No comments:

Post a Comment